Getting proof of tax credits payments if you claim other benefits

Getting proof of tax credits payments if you claim other benefits

From time to time you might have to provide proof that you’re getting tax credits. So it’s a good idea to keep all your tax credits paperwork together in a safe place in case you need it later on.

Why you might need proof you’re getting tax credits

Sometimes the amount of tax credits you get is taken into account if you’re claiming some other types of benefit.

You might have to give proof that you’re getting tax credits if you wanted to claim benefits such as:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • certain local council benefits – like a clothing grant, or free school meals

Some of the offices who pay these benefits may ask to see your tax credits award for proof of your income or to show that you’re entitled to tax credits.

What proof you might need

You might have to fill in a form if you’re going to claim any other benefits or grants. Ask the organisation you’re applying to for help with what you need to provide. For example, they might want:

  • your tax credits award notice – remember to send in your latest award notice (but keep a copy)and ask for it back when your claim has been dealt with
  • your tax credits reference number
  • proof that you’re still getting tax credits
  • confirmation of the amount of tax credits you’re getting

Where you can get proof

If you’re already getting tax credits, your award notice will contain all the information that’s needed including:

  • proof that you’re entitled to tax credits
  • the amount of tax credits you get

If you’ve just made a tax credits claim you may not have got your award notice yet. But you should get this within 30 days of making your claim.

  • When can you expect your first tax credits payment?

If you can’t find – or don’t have – an award notice

You can ask the Tax Credit Helpline for a copy of your award notice. You should tell them why you need it when you contact them.

The Tax Credit Office will send you one of the following:

  • a ‘copy notice’ if your original notice has been lost or damaged after you received it -this is exactly the same as your original notice – including the original issue date
  • a ‘duplicate notice’ if you didn’tget the original notice -this is the same as the original notice, except the issue date is the date the duplicate notice was sent out
  • an original notice if you were never sent an award notice in the first place

How long you should keep paperwork for

There’s no rule for how long you should keep your tax credits paperwork – it’s up to you. But it’s a good idea to keep award notices and other important letters until you stop getting tax credits.

Contact the Tax Credit Office

If you need more help you cancall the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900, or textphone 0845 300 3909 if you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment (open from 8.00 am to 8.00 pmevery dayexcept Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day).

If you’re outside the UK you can also call on+44 289 053 8192.

More useful links

  • How tax credits affect other benefits
  • Finding your Child Benefit number or proving you qualify

Provided by HM Revenue and Customs

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 14,470 times, 18 visits today)