Who needs an Economic Operator Registration and Identification number?

Who needs an Economic Operator Registration and Identification number?

You need an EORI number if you are required to provide pre-arrival/pre-departure information for goods, or are involved in the import, export or movement of goods under a transit procedure.

Traders wishing to register or who are already registered as an Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) will need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

The AEO certificate is an internationally recognised quality mark that proves your role in the international supply chain is secure and that your customs controls and procedures are efficient and compliant.

For more information and to find out whether AEO status is available to you, see our guide on Authorised Economic Operators.

Format of the EORI number

UK EORI numbers are based on the format of the expired Trader’s Unique Reference Numbers (TURNs). They start with the letters ‘GB’. Most are then followed by a 12-digit number based on the trader’s VAT number (eg GB123456789000).

A small number of ‘dummy’ EORI numbers will be issued for non VAT-registered operators. For further exceptions, read FAQs on EORI on the HM Revenue & Customs website – Opens in a new window.

You can call the HMRC VAT Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000 for further advice or email eori.customs&intl@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on Findlaw.co.uk please let us know by contacting us at: findlaw.portalmanager@thomsonreuters.com.
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 88 times, 1 visits today)