How do I apply for a vehicle tax refund?

How do I apply for a vehicle tax refund?

How do I get a refund for my vehicle tax?

Since October 2014 you no longer need to make a direct application for a refund on your vehicle tax .

The DVLA will automatically issue a refund when they receive notification from the registered keeper that the vehicle:

  • has been scrapped
  • has been sold or transferred
  • has had its tax class to an exempt duty class
  • has been removed from the road and the registered keeper has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • has been exported to another country

To make sure the amount to be refunded is accurate you need to enter the correct dates of acquisition and disposal on documents V5C, V5C/2 and V5C3.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 85,525 times, 307 visits today)