How do I make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)?

How do I make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)?

Why do you need to make a Statutory Off Road Notification?

Under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) regulations, it is a legal requirement for vehicle owners to have insurance cover at all times.

Therefore, if you are the owner of a vehicle that is not covered by a car insurance policy and has not been declared ‘off road’ by a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), you will be liable to a fixed penalty notice of £100.

In addition, your car could be clamped, seized and disposed of. There is also the potential for you to face prosecution with a maximum fine of £1,000.

What exactly is a Statutory Off Road Notification?

Government databases contain information about tax and insurance status.

A SORN alerts the government to the fact that your car is not being used on public roads.

Once this notification has taken place, your car does not need to have road tax or insurance.

When do you need a Statutory Off Road Notification?

You will need to declare a SORN any time you will not be driving your vehicle for an extended period of time and prefer not to incur unnecessary tax or insurance costs.

Situations that call for a SORN include:

  • A car failing its MOT and needing significant repairs
  • Going abroad on holiday for several months or years
  • Buying an untaxed vehicle without taxing it.

How do you declare a Statutory Off Road Notification?

You can use the DVLA’s Vehicle Online Service to declare a SORN.

You will need the unique reference number, which is found on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1 renewal reminder.

Upon completion of the online declaration, you will receive instant acknowledgement of the SORN and a follow-up email.

Once your application has been accepted, the DVLA will send you a letter within four weeks.

Alternatively, you can declare your SORN over the telephone by calling 0300 123 4321.

In certain situations, for example, if you are not yet registered as the vehicle owner or have registered recently, you may be required to make a SORN by post.

You will need to write to:



SA99 1AR.


How long does a Statutory Off Road Notification last?

A SORN is not permanent. When you receive it, make a note of its expiry date so that you can renew it in time.

If you are going to be away at the time of expiry, you can send a V890 form to the DVLA up to two months ahead of time, explaining that you will be absent.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 43,980 times, 4 visits today)