How do I report an untaxed vehicle?

How do I report an untaxed vehicle?

An untaxed vehicle is any vehicle that is currently in operation or parked on a public highway without displaying a valid, up-to-date vehicle licence – otherwise known as a tax disc.

Ordinarily, it is an offence to use or keep a UK-registered motor vehicle on a public road without having road tax.

However, there are exceptions for some registered foreign vehicles, which are exempted from UK tax and registration requirements for certain periods of time. In other words, drivers of these vehicles are not required to display a tax disc inside.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is tasked with the responsibility of handling untaxed vehicles on public roads. In the vast majority of situations, the DVLA will clamp or impound untaxed vehicles, although this is not always the case.

Reporting an untaxed vehicle

In order to report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA, it is necessary to have a number of details at hand:

  • the vehicle registration number
  • the make (manufacturer), model and colour of the vehicle
  • the location of the vehicle (the street, town and postcode) and the likely time(s) it can be seen in that location.


There is no need for the person reporting the untaxed vehicle to provide their name or any other identifying personal information – reports can be made anonymously.

There are two main ways to report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA:

1. Online via the DVLA website

2. By post to:

Enforcement Section, W070/D12

DVLA Longview Road Swansea SA7 0XZ.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 3,473 times, 1 visits today)