How do I change my vehicle details on my registration certificate?

How do I change my vehicle details on my registration certificate?

Youll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.

Changes you need to update

Youll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

  • colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity
  • fuel type (propulsion)
  • replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a goods vehicle

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

DVLA will need written confirmation of changes to fuel type for vehicles registered after 1 March 2001 if:

  • your existing engine is converted, the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work
  • a new engine is fitted, the receipt will be required as confirmation

A change to the number of seats including the driver’s seat may affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay.

For changes to the revenue weight youll need to produce a plating certificate or design weight certificate.

Youll need to produce the appropriate exemption certificate if you change the tax class of your vehicle to disabled.

  • Taxing your vehicle in the disabled tax class

Other changes

Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

  • wheel plan
  • body type
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • chassis number
  • frame number for motorcycles

How to tell DVLA about the changes

Using your registration certificate youll need to:

  • notify any changes or corrections by completing section seven
  • sign and date the declaration box

For changes not listed in section seven you’ll need tounderline the vehicle details in section four, writing the new information next to them. You must also produce documentary evidence with a covering letter explaining the changes.

If the changes dont affect your vehicle tax, then send the registration certificate and any additional documentation to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

If the changes affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay, youll need to apply to your nearest DVLA local office to:

  • apply for an exchange licence if your tax disc shows the old details
  • retax your vehicle if the vehicle tax has expired

In both cases, youll need to include the registration certificate and any additional documentation with your application.

  • How to exchange a tax disc
  • How to retax your vehicle

When to expect your registration certificate

DVLA will aim to deliver a registration certificate to you within two to four weeks of receiving your application. However, please allow up to four weeks before contactingDVLA.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 12,938 times, 17 visits today)