Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Adult students

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

This page explains what a confirmation of acceptance for studies is and why you need to obtain one.

Before you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 4 (General), your education provider must assign a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to you. This confirms that you have been given an unconditional offer of a place on a course of study with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.

If you have a valid CAS, you can score 30 points in our points assessment.

More information

  • What is a confirmation of acceptance for studies?

    A confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is a ‘virtual document’ similar to a database record. It is assigned to a student when the education provider gives them an unconditional offer of a place on a course.

    Each CAS has a unique reference number, and contains information about the course of study and the student’s personal details.

    Your education provider (also known as your ‘Tier 4 sponsor’) will provide you with your CAS reference number. They will also need to provide you with some of the information they used (such as the course details, the documents they used to assess your suitability, and the course fees) when they assigned the CAS to you. You will need this information when you apply to us.

    A CAS is valid if it:

    • contains the same details as are in your passport; and
    • was assigned no more than six months before you apply to us; and
    • has not been withdrawn or cancelled by your education provider or by us.

    If you do not use your CAS to apply to us during the six months after it is assigned to you, it will expire and you will need to get a new CAS from your education provider. If you apply to us using a CAS that has expired, we will refuse your application.

    We or your education provider can withdraw or cancel a CAS at any time. You cannot use a withdrawn or cancelled CAS in an application to us.

    Visa letters

    Until 21 February 2010, migrants could apply to us under Tier 4 using a visa letter issued by their Tier 4 sponsor.

    On 22 February 2010, CASs fully replaced visa letters. All Tier 4 applications must now be made using CASs.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 50 times, 1 visits today)