What do I need to know about child maintenance and the Child Support Agency?

What do I need to know about child maintenance and the Child Support Agency?

The Child Support Agency is no longer the Government’s child maintenance service. It was replaced by the Child Maintenance Service on 25 November 2013.

The role of the new service is to make sure that parents who live apart from their children contribute towards their children’s upkeep by paying child maintenance.

The Child Maintenance Service use a standard process to work out how much child maintenance should be paid in each case, and to manage the payments. They may take legal action if the right amount is not paid at the right time.

Do we have to use the Child Maintenance Agency?

You can arrange child maintenance privately or you can use the Maintenance Service. In either event, the parent who does not have the main day-to-day care of the children (the “non-resident parent”) must pay the parent who does (the “resident parent”). In some cases, this may be a grandparent or guardian.

If you use the Child Maintenance Service, they will calculate the amount of child maintenance you should receive and even collect it for you. If you want to make arrangements for child maintenance privately, contact Child Maintenance Options for impartial information and support.

How does the Child Maintenance Service work out how much maintenance should be paid?

The Child Maintenance Service uses information provided by both parents to decide if someone has to pay child maintenance and to work out how much maintenance should be paid. It may also use information from other sources, including the non-resident parent’s employer or HM Revenue & Customs.

It then works out child maintenance by applying one of four rates to the non-resident parent’s ‘net weekly income’. Income is earnings, money from an occupational or personal pension, certain benefits and in certain circumstances tax credits. Net weekly income is the amount of income you are left with after paying things like income tax, National Insurance and contributions to a pension scheme. (NB. If the pension scheme is set up to repay a mortgage, only 75% of the money paid into the scheme can be taken away from your gross (total) income. So your net weekly income includes 25% of any mortgage-linked pension contribution.)

What rates is applied to calculate maintenance?

The four rates applied to the non-resident parent’s gross weekly income are:

  • the basic plus rate (if they have an income of £800.01 – £3,000 a week);
  • the basic rate (if they have an income of £200 – £800 a week or more);
  • the reduced rate (if their income is more than £100.01 but less than £199.99 a week);
  • the flat rate (if their income is £7 to £100 a week);
  • the nil rate (if their income is less than £7 a week).


Aren’t any other factors taken into account in setting maintenance?

Other factors, such as whether the non-resident parent or their partner are getting benefits, can also affect which rate applies.

It is also important to note that the maximum gross weekly income used to work out child maintenance is £3,000. If the non-resident parent’s gross weekly income is more than £3,000, the parent with care can apply to the court for extra maintenance.

Other things can also affect the amount of child maintenance a non-resident parent has to pay, such as:

  • the number of children living with them;
  • the number of children they need to pay child maintenance for;
  • whether the child stays with them at least one night a week;
  • whether they or the parent with care are getting benefits.


So what is the basic rate?

Bear in mind that maintenance may be adjusted to take account of the factors listed in the preceding section, but if the non-resident parent has to pay child maintenance for:

  • one child, they will have to pay 12% of their net weekly income;
  • two children, they will have to pay 16% of their net weekly income;
  • three or more children, they will have to pay 19% of their net weekly income.


And the basic plus rate?

This is the same as for the basic rate, but for gross weekly income over £800, up to £3,000, another 9% must be paid for one child, 12% for two children and 15% for three or more children.

And the reduced rate?

The non-resident parent pays a standard amount of £7, plus a percentage of their net weekly income over £100. This will depend on the number of children the non-resident parent needs to pay child maintenance for and whether they or their partner receive child benefit for them. As above, the amount may also be adjusted down if the child stays with the non-resident parent at least one night a week.

What about the flat rate?

The flat rate is £7 – no matter how many children are involved.

And please tell me about the nil rate?

As the name suggests, the nil rate means the non-resident parent does not have to pay any child maintenance.

How do I apply for maintenance?

You can make an application for child maintenance online via the Child Maintenance Options website.

What about the old Child Support Agency?

The Child Support Agency (CSA) still exists but no longer takes on new cases. It continues to manage cases that were opened before Noember 2013.

If you have a case opened in March 2003 or later, you should contact your local CSA office. You can search for the office by following this link.

If your case was opened between 1993 and March 2003, you can call the CSA helpline on 0845 713 3133, or textphone 0845 713 8924. Alternatively, you can complete the CSA’s online form.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on Findlaw.co.uk please let us know by contacting us at: findlaw.portalmanager@thomsonreuters.com.
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 2,933 times, 2 visits today)