What happens if I’m a repeat drink driving offender?

What happens if I’m a repeat drink driving offender?

If you are a repeat offender you can expect to receive a penalty for drink driving 2-3 times more severe than someone caught for the first time. Indeed, if you are convicted of drink driving offences twice inside 10 years, you will be subject to the High Risk Offender Scheme and a mandatory long-term driving disqualification.

Minimum 3 year driving ban

If you have a conviction for a similar offence within a ten year period preceding the most recent crime, a mandatory 3 year minimum period of disqualification will be imposed for ‘causing death by careless driving when under the influence’, ‘driving or attempting to drive when under the influence of drink or drugs’, ‘driving or attempting to drive with alcohol concentration above prescribed limit’, or ‘failing to provide a specimen (after driving/attempting to drive)’.

High Risk Offender Scheme

Under the Scheme, offenders are required to satisfy the Medical Advisor at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) that they no longer have a drink problem and are otherwise fit to drive before their licence is returned. They also have to pay the full cost of renewing their licence as well as the cost of the medical examination.

Blood analysis

During the medical examination, your blood will be drawn and subjected to analysis. As part of the analysis, your sample will be subjected to three tests:

  • Gamma-glutamyl transferase enzyme testing: the enzyme usually shows up in samples from chronic drinkers who have been drinking 4 or more drinks per day for a period of 4 to 8 weeks.
  • Mean red blood cell volume testing: this test is designed to reveal recent ingestion of alcohol.
  • Alanine & aspartarte aminotransferases: these enzymes leak into the blood stream when liver cells (hepatocytes) are damaged from excess alcohol consumption.

Seeking help

Many people who drink and drive have wider issues with alcohol, so if you accept you were over the limit, you should seriously consider seeking professional help.

Should I Consult a Solicitor?

If you’ve been convicted of a drink driving offence in the past and you’ve been charged for another offence, you need to consider your position very carefully as the penalties can be severe. In every case, you are strongly advised to seek legal advice.

Related Articles

If you cannot find what you are looking for on Findlaw.co.uk please let us know by contacting us at: findlaw.portalmanager@thomsonreuters.com.
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 5,212 times, 10 visits today)