How can I claim medical negligence compensation?

How can I claim medical negligence compensation?


There is no system in the UK for automatically paying compensation to people who have suffered a medical accident. Sometimes, a hospital may admit it has made a mistake and offer you compensation, but this is usually for relatively minor injuries or losses. In most cases, you will need to make a legal claim for ‘clinical negligence’.

If you live in Wales, you may be able to use the fast-track compensation the Speedy Resolution Scheme, which aims to settle claims quickly and reduce costs, but you can use it only:

  • if your injury was due to treatment provided by an NHS Trust in Wales; and
  • for ‘small’ claims of between £5,000 and £15,000.

There are some other rules governing whether this scheme can deal with your claim. You will need to talk to a specialist clinical negligence solicitor from AvMA or the Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel to decide whether you can use the scheme and weigh up its possible benefits and drawbacks.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.

(Visited 90 times, 1 visits today)